Giant Chess Set
in Medicine Hat, Alberta
What is the Giant Chess Set?
This is an outdoor permanently surfaced GIANT Chess Board, with useable GIANT wooden chess pieces, conceptualized and developed by Dr. Bill Taylor and members of the Medicine Hat Chess Club. The board is located between the Court of Queen's Bench Building and the Medicine Hat Public Library in the core of beautiful downtown Medicine Hat. In 2009 it was officially certified as the World's "Largest Chess Set" by Guinness World Records. View copy of official certificate!
The pieces are all hand and lathe crafted from teak wood and imported from Indonesia. The tallest piece in the set is the King which measures 4 feet tall! Wow! Collectively, the pieces weigh in at a whopping 870 pounds!
Chess Community Objectives
• To promote chess as a recreational activity for all ages
• Provide educational experiences for interested youth and individuals
• To enhance and compliment the beauty of the downtown core of Medicine Hat
• Partner with the City of Medicine Hat in promoting the city's many attractions
If you would like to book some playtime on the GIANT CHESS BOARD you may reserve up to 2 hours daily, up to 2 days in advance, by calling the Chess Ambassadors at 403-866-CHES (2437). The cost is a suggested donation of $10/hour. Please be punctual as the board may be given to others waiting if you are late!
Operational Funding Generously Provided By:
• Click here to view a complete list of our donations! (Updated 2014)
If you would like to make a donation you can contact Dr. Bill Taylor, President, MHCC
►Purchase A Pin From the World's Largest Chess Set in Medicine Hat Alberta!
Picture is close to the actual size of the pin.
One Pin: $5.00